List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Brent Baisley Date:October 9 2006 2:52pm
Subject:Re: How to speed up query of indexed column with 5M rows?
View as plain text
For some reason it's not using the index on the owner field (flow_fk_owner), it's doing a
full table scan. Which also explains the
i/o results from vmstat. Since MySQL is not using the index, that means it determined a
full table scan would be quicker (MySQL
doesn't always get this right).
You should look at your SHOW INDEX FROM flow. That will show you the data distribution
(cardinality) of you index. You may need to
run an analyze table to get mysql to update it's data stats, which it uses to determine
the best way to run a query.
Also try forcing MySQL to use the index.
SELECT * FROM flow FORCE INDEX flow_fk_owner WHERE owner=11251

Keep in mind that when you do a SELECT *, you are transferring all the data in each record
for the found set. If you just do a
SELECT count(id)... that will tell you how long it took to run the query without the added
time of transferring the results.