List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Buettner Date:October 5 2006 9:35pm
Subject:Re: multiple primary keys on one table?
View as plain text
Ferindo, you can create multiple UNIQUE indexes on a table to enforce
your data requirements.
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/alter-table.html

Dan

On 10/5/06, Ferindo Middleton <ferindo.middleton@stripped> wrote:
> I have a primary key set on a table which consists of the combination of the
> values: firstname, lastname, and a schedule_id (BIGINT(20))... I have this
> so the records in this table do not have duplicates, being that no one
> record should have the exact same name and schedule_id identifier.
>
> However, I want to keep this same restriction while also ensuring that no
> two records have the same email_address and schedule_id identifier...
>
> You can't have the db enforce two different primary keys on one table, so
> how would I implement having this kind of restriction, which, in itself,
> seems to require that I have a second primary key to enforce another
> constraint to dissalow records to be added that carry the same combination
> of: email_address and schedule_id?
>
> just ferindo

Thread
multiple primary keys on one table?Ferindo Middleton5 Oct
  • Re: multiple primary keys on one table?Dan Buettner5 Oct
    • Re: multiple primary keys on one table?Ferindo Middleton6 Oct
      • Re: multiple primary keys on one table?Gabriel PREDA6 Oct
  • Re: multiple primary keys on one table?Miles Thompson6 Oct
  • Re: multiple primary keys on one table?Martijn Tonies6 Oct
  • Re: multiple primary keys on one table?Renish6 Oct