List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Brian Dunning Date:October 4 2006 3:49pm
Subject:Re: Deleting, skip the first n records
View as plain text
The offset is what I was thinking of - that would be the simplest -
but as far as I can tell, delete doesn't support the offset. It's not
documented, and it gives me an error when I try it. I was hoping to
avoid two queries but it sounds like that's what I might have to do.

On Oct 4, 2006, at 8:37 AM, Dan Julson wrote:

> You can add an offset in the Limit statement.  Look at the Select
> Syntax in
> the docs.
>
> There is an even simpler solution to this problem.  Use your
> creation field
> within a Where clause instead of using Order by and Limit.
>
> -Dan
>

> I'm trying to delete all but the newest n records.
>
> DELETE FROM tablename ORDER BY creation DESC LIMIT=n
>
> This does the opposite of what I want. Is there some way to tell it
> to start the delete after n and delete all the remaining records?

Thread
Deleting, skip the first n recordsBrian Dunning4 Oct
  • Re: Deleting, skip the first n recordsDan Julson4 Oct
    • Re: Deleting, skip the first n recordsBrian Dunning4 Oct
  • Re: Deleting, skip the first n recordsDan Buettner4 Oct
re[2]: Deleting, skip the first n recordsRob Desbois4 Oct
  • Re: re[2]: Deleting, skip the first n recordsBrian Dunning4 Oct
    • Re: Deleting, skip the first n recordsDan Julson4 Oct
      • Re: Deleting, skip the first n recordsDuĊĦan Pavlica5 Oct