List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Angelo Zanetti Date:October 3 2006 10:42pm
Subject:Re: creating indexes on a table already containing data
View as plain text

Dan Nelson wrote:

>In the last episode (Oct 03), Angelo Zanetti said:
>

>>I've got a database that has a few thousand rows, I've noticed that
>>some of the search queries (especially the large ones) are taking
>>some time. Im looking at adding indexes to my tables in order to
>>speed up the data retrieval.
>>
>>My question is as follows: At this point in time if I add the indexes
>>to the various tables should I see immediate results in the query
>>times or do I have to wait for new information to enter the database
>>(only new data gets indexed?)
>>
>>When does the data actually get indexed? Is it when its inserted or
>>continually when regards are inserted or updated in the database?
>>

>When you add an index, Mysql builds a complete index of your table
>immediately.  For a few thousand rows it should take under a minute.
>The index will automatically be updated as you insert rows or change
>existing ones.

thanks Dan and Dan.

I will have a look at the mysql site. However I checked and there are
600 rows approx in the database.
The query im running has 3 subselect statements and takes quite a while,
would you say that indexing wouldn't help as there arent that many rows
in the database currently? And therefore consider rewriting parts of the
statement?
I will add the indexes as good measuse anyway.

TIA

Angelo Zanetti
Systems developer

*Telephone:* +27 (021) 469 1052
*Mobile:*       +27 (0) 72 441 3355
*Fax:*            +27 (0) 86 681 5885
*
Web:* http://www.zlogic.co.za
*E-Mail:* angelo@stripped <mailto:angelo@stripped>
Thread
creating indexes on a table already containing dataAngelo Zanetti3 Oct
  • Re: creating indexes on a table already containing dataDan Buettner3 Oct
  • Re: creating indexes on a table already containing dataDan Nelson3 Oct
    • Re: creating indexes on a table already containing dataAngelo Zanetti4 Oct
      • Re: creating indexes on a table already containing datamos4 Oct