List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Buettner Date:October 3 2006 9:49pm
Subject:Re: creating indexes on a table already containing data
View as plain text
Angelo, results should be (nearly) immediate.  When you add an index,
MySQL creates an index for the existing data in your table.  Later,
when data is added/updated/deleted, the index is updated
simultaneously.

With a few thousand rows, you should be able to get by adding a few
indexes where they seem to make sense.  As your database grows, it
might be worth your while to go more in-depth with MySQL optimization.
 The online manual has a good section at:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/optimization.html
and I also highly recommend Jeremy Zawodny's book "High Performance MySQL".

Dan