List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Angelo Zanetti Date:October 3 2006 9:53pm
Subject:creating indexes on a table already containing data
View as plain text
Hi all,

I've got a database that has a few thousand rows, I've noticed that some
of the search queries (especially the large ones) are taking some time.
Im looking at adding indexes to my tables in order to speed up the data
retrieval.

My question is as follows: At this point in time if I add the indexes to
the various tables should I see immediate results in the query times or
do I have to wait for new information to enter the database (only new
data gets indexed?)
When does the data actually get indexed? Is it when its inserted or
continually when regards are inserted or updated in the database?

Thanks in advance.

Angelo Zanetti
Systems developer

*Telephone:* +27 (021) 469 1052
*Mobile:*       +27 (0) 72 441 3355
*Fax:*            +27 (0) 86 681 5885
*
Web:* http://www.zlogic.co.za
*E-Mail:* angelo@stripped <mailto:angelo@stripped>
Thread
creating indexes on a table already containing dataAngelo Zanetti3 Oct
  • Re: creating indexes on a table already containing dataDan Buettner3 Oct
  • Re: creating indexes on a table already containing dataDan Nelson3 Oct
    • Re: creating indexes on a table already containing dataAngelo Zanetti4 Oct
      • Re: creating indexes on a table already containing datamos4 Oct