List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:September 28 2006 8:00pm
Subject:Re: making varchar field to act like numeric field
View as plain text
In the last episode (Sep 28), Steve Musumeche said:
> I think this method will work, however, when trying these queries, I get
> a SQL syntax error.
>
> mysql> select cast('34' AS decimal);
> ERROR 1064 (42000): You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the
> manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right
> syntax to use near 'decimal)' at line 1

The CAST function in mysql 4.1 and older can't cast to DECIMAL.  5.0
and newer can.  One easy way to convert strings to numbers in older
mysql's is to add 0 to them:

mysql> select ("1.10" + 0);
+------------+
| "1.10" + 0 |
|        1.1 |

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@stripped
        • Re: making varchar field to act like numeric fieldSteve Musumeche28 Sep
RE: making varchar field to act like numeric fieldRajesh Mehrotra28 Sep
  • Partitioning to_hourMichael Gargiullo28 Sep
  • Re: making varchar field to act like numeric fieldChris W28 Sep