List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martin Lorensen Date:April 18 1999 1:05pm
Subject:Multiuser/multideamon and CPU/RAM/DISK usage
View as plain text
Hi!

Background:
^^^^^^^^^^^
We are planing to set up a MySQL server on one of our unix-webhosting
servers. The plane is that all users will be offerd to get their own
database for their website using PHP.

Our concern is wheter to have a single MySQL deamon or a MySQL deamon for
each website (running with seperate uid's, log- and database-path etc.).

Safety is somewhat the same - Both setups have problems. Administration is
fare easiest with one deamon - as far as I can see.

Our primar concern is, if we will be able to see what is going on if the
CPU/RAM/DISK load is raising dramaticly or if we see denial-of-service
attacs.

Problem!
^^^^^^^^
E.g. two users has active websites which simular queries, but one has set
up a index on the queried key, the other doesn't - Or the databases has
siginificantly diffrent size - Will we then be able to see which of the
users that is causing the problem?

Having only on deamon, that deamon will take up all the CPU-time, require
more RAM, and constantly in an I/O-wait state.

Having multible deamons, the deamon owned by the user causing trouble,
will have abover symptoms, the rest of the deamons runs as normal - It
would be easy to stop/debug the problem.

Question?
^^^^^^^^^
Is there anywhere in the log (or some place else) we could find that
information if we are running only one deamon? Is there a "debug" flag or
something that will enable us to do so?

Thanks in advance!

Martin Lorensen
Tele2 A/S

Thread
Multiuser/multideamon and CPU/RAM/DISK usageMartin Lorensen18 Apr
  • Multiuser/multideamon and CPU/RAM/DISK usageMichael Widenius19 Apr