List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:September 11 2006 6:13pm
Subject:Re: Varchar mystery
View as plain text

> I'm using MySQL Linux version 4.1.21 standard.
> I have a table with fields of a variety of types, including varchar(255)
> text (which might matter). When I do
> where x is a varchar(255), I get back 266 as the result of the query!
> This isn't listed as one of the silent conversions - varchar(256) would be
> converted to text, but not varchar(255). What's going on?

Well, LENGTH returns the length in bytes, not characters. If you use
characterset in your table/column that uses a multi-byte-per-character
encoding scheme, LENGTH can return more than the number of

See also CHAR_LENGTH here:

Martijn Tonies
Upscene Productions
My thoughts:

Varchar mysteryJerry Schwartz11 Sep
  • Re: Varchar mysteryPaul DuBois11 Sep
    • RE: Varchar mysteryJerry Schwartz11 Sep
  • Re: Varchar mysteryMartijn Tonies11 Sep