List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:December 3 1999 12:40am
Subject:Re: Newbie type question
View as plain text
At 3:46 PM -0800 12/2/99, brdotwn@stripped wrote:
>I'm working with the DBI Perl interface for MySQL -- nice system, like it.
>
>But alas, for reasons I'd rather not be forced to defend, I also
>need to access a
>MySQL database from Perl without recourse to any modules.
>
>So far I haven't found any reference to Perl access of MySQL that does not go
>through DBI.
>
>Anyone have a clue where I can look for a working example or two from draw
>from.

That's a very strange request.  One alternative to DBI is the older,
obsolete MysqlPerl interface.  However, that's a module as well, so
it doesn't meet your requirements.  The only other alternative is to
write your own Perl interface to the MySQL C API, and that's a *lot*
more trouble than it's worth.  I don't know what your reasons are
for wanting to avoid modules (and I can't even begin to imagine what
they are), but you really should use DBI if at all possible.  Otherwise,
you're throwing away a lot of already-written code, and throwing away
the many hours of debugging that other people have already put into
DBI.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread