List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:December 2 1999 8:04pm
Subject:mysql speed - raw i/o under linux, Hoard memory allocator, SMP
View as plain text
Hi!

>>>>> "David" == David Haring <dave@stripped> writes:

David> Hello,
David> As raw i/o support is available for Linux as kernel patch, I would like
David> to know  if mysql can be run on raw i/o device under Linux and, if so,
David> how would this impact mysql performance. Did anybody try this?

No, this can't yet be done;  This is because MySQL uses a separate
file per table.  Currently we don't think that the small speed
increase you can get on raw i/o will be worth the flexibility you loose.

David> Second question, did anybody try to link mysql with Hoard multiprocessor
David> memory sllocator(available on
David> http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/emery/hoard/)?

I downloaded this to test last week, but I haven't had time to test
this yet.  If it works as good as they claim, we will add this to the MySQL
source distribution, so that one can enable this with a simple switch
to configure.

David> thank you,

Regards,
Monty
Thread
mysql speed - raw i/o under linux, Hoard memory allocator, SMPDavid Haring2 Dec
  • Re: mysql speed - raw i/o under linux, Hoard memory allocator, SMPEd Carp2 Dec
    • Re: mysql speed - raw i/o under linux, Hoard memory allocator, SMPsrfrog2 Dec
      • Re: mysql speed - raw i/o under linux, Hoard memory allocator, SMPRobert Seward3 Dec
        • Newbie type questionbrdotwn3 Dec
          • Re: Newbie type questionSasha Pachev3 Dec
          • Re: Newbie type questionPaul DuBois3 Dec
            • Re: Newbie type questionbrdotwn3 Dec
          • Re: Newbie type questionSasha Pachev3 Dec
          • Re: Newbie type questionSteve Ruby4 Dec
  • mysql speed - raw i/o under linux, Hoard memory allocator, SMPMichael Widenius2 Dec
RE: mysql speed - raw i/o under linux, Hoard memory allocator, SMPNathan R. Neulinger2 Dec