List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:nigel wood Date:August 26 2006 7:18pm
Subject:Re: IP Address Function?
View as plain text
Chris Knipe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to make *allot* of queries from a application dealing with IP
> Addresses.  At the moment, I'm storing IP addresses as a VARCHAR(16).
> I would *like* to store them as Integers by converting the IP to it's
> numerical equivalent.  I believe this would also save a enormous
> amount of table space.
>
> The problem is, I *must* do the conversion as part of my SQL Query.
> Either during the SELECT/UPDATE/INSERT, or via a Procedure... And I
> must obviously also be able to convert the Integer back into a IP
> address during queries....
>
> Is this at all possible???
> mytable

MySQL has dotted IP string to integer (and vice versa)  conversion
functions.  You'd use them in queries like:

insert into  mytable set IPaddress = funcName('192.168.191.34');
select funcName(IPaddress) as strIPaddress, IPaddress as intIPaddress
from mytable;

I suspect you posted to the list before attempting to the functions in
the online documentation so I'll  simply confirm they exist and leave
you to: Do Your Own Research by Reading The Fine Manual.

Nigel Wood

Thread
IP Address Function?Chris Knipe26 Aug
  • Re: IP Address Function?nigel wood26 Aug
  • Re: IP Address Function?Chris Knipe26 Aug