List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:December 2 1999 5:53pm
Subject:Re: Delayed inserts
View as plain text
At 3:33 PM +0000 12/2/99, Matt Duggan wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am using MySQL on a Sun Ultra 1, Solaris 2.6 (mysql Ver 9.32 Distrib
>3.22.23b).
>
>I also use php3 and perl with our ticketing system. In order to obtain
>some more
>speed out of the database I started to use delayed inserts. Which worked
>great, or
>seemingly great!
>
>It appears that if you run an immediate query on the database for a
>'ticket' that
>has just been added the database returns nothing, as if the data has not
>been
>written to the disk.
>
>I thought that the data would be available before the write however?

Why do you think that?  If the row was guaranteed to have been inserted
when your client returns, you would have no difference between INSERT
and INSERT DELAYED.  The action of the latter is that the server accepts
the row and queues it for insertion.  You have no guarantee about when it
actually *will* be inserted.

For the application requirements you describe, you cannot used DELAYED
inserts.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread