List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Peter Brawley Date:August 22 2006 8:48pm
Subject:Re: Finding field in all tables
View as plain text
Jerry

/>I haven't ventured into MySQL 5.x, I have enough trouble working with this
 >house of cards I was handed. I'll try to remember this for the future,
 >though./

All you need to do is install mysql 5 in any box, run the dump script,
then execute one query:

SELECT
  LOWER(table_name) AS 'Table',
  LOWER(column_name) AS 'Column',
  ordinal_position As 'Ordinal Position',
  column_default AS 'Default',
  UPPER(data_type) AS 'Type',
  character_maximum_length AS 'Max Len',
  character_octet_length AS 'Octet Len',
  numeric_precision AS 'Precision',
  numeric_scale AS 'Numeric Scale',
  is_nullable AS 'Null',
  character_set_name AS 'Character Set',
  collation_name AS 'Collation'
FROM information_schema.columns
WHERE table_schema = 'yourdbname'
ORDER BY table_name,'Ordinal Position';

and there are all your tables with all their columns. Absent a modelling
tool, there's not a quicker way to get that info.

PB

-----

Jerry Schwartz wrote:
> I haven't ventured into MySQL 5.x, I have enough trouble working with this
> house of cards I was handed. I'll try to remember this for the future,
> though.
>
> Thanks to all.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jerry Schwartz
> Global Information Incorporated
> 195 Farmington Ave.
> Farmington, CT 06032
>
> 860.674.8796 / FAX: 860.674.8341

No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.405 / Virus Database: 268.11.5/425 - Release Date: 8/22/2006
Thread
Finding field in all tablesJerry Schwartz22 Aug
  • RE: Finding field in all tablesGeorge Law22 Aug
    • RE: Finding field in all tablesJerry Schwartz22 Aug
  • Re: Finding field in all tablesPeter Brawley22 Aug