List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Buettner Date:August 11 2006 3:16pm
Subject:Re: Access mySQL database across Internet
View as plain text
If it's a simple update, then it's doubful a once-a-second update
would cause any problems.  Databases are built to handle exactly that
sort of work.

On 8/11/06, Neil Tompkins <neildtompkins@stripped> wrote:

> [...]
>  > Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 16:09:29 -0500
> > From: drbuettner@stripped
> > To: neildtompkins@stripped
> > Subject: Re: Access mySQL database across Internet
> > CC: mysql@stripped
> >
> > A good point to make here is that averages are generally
> a poor
> > calculation to use when planning for load, since
> your systems have to
> > handle the peaks as well as the average.  I know
> this, fought a number
> > of fights over it at my last job - don't know why I
> just quoted you
> > averages!
> >
> > If 99% of your 1000 hits occur between 7:59 AM and 8:01
> AM (some sort
> > of workday login validaton system perhaps ) then
> obviously you need to
> > handle as many as 500 a minute or more.  So it may vary
> from average
> > quite a bit based on your peak times - that will be
> good information
> > to research as part of your planning process.
> >
> > Dan
> >

> > On 8/10/06, Dan Buettner <drbuettner@stripped> wrote:
> > > No, 1000 hits / day isn't terribly high traffic, if
> you're serving
> > > pretty normal "stuff".  That averages out to a hit
> every 32 seconds or
> > > so during the course of an 8 to 5 business day, a
> hit every 86 seconds
> > > or so in a full day.  No problems at that level.
> > >
> > > When you get to 1000 hits / minute, then you're
> talking high traffic!
> > >
> > > Dan

> hits per day or more ?

> drbuettner@stripped> To: neildtompkins@stripped> Subject: Re: Access
> mySQL database across Internet> CC: mysql@stripped>
> > Neil, in theory, this should work fine,
> given sufficient bandwidth> between the
> two sites.> > In practice, if it is a high traffic
> site generating a large number of>
> connections, or a high traffic site pulling
> large pieces of data> (BLOBs or TEXT) from
> the remote database, you may find performance
> to> be unacceptable.> > Latency to
> establish a connection will be slightly higher, on
> a "busy> internet day" possibly noticeable
> to end uers.> > You'll have to be sure you
> open up any firewalls and also MySQL's own>
> access control to your remote server.> >
> Some ISPs prohibit connections like this,
> so check with yours - would> be
> disappointing for sure to build it all then get a
> call saying> "cease and desist; read our
> acceptable use policy".> > Dan> > > On
> a IIS server on the same network
> accessible over the Internet.   Now we want
> to set-up a new website with another ISP
> therefore located in a different datacenter.>
> this.  What performance issues would I get if
> I access the database from the other
> datacenter across the Internet ?> >> > Thanks>
> > Neil> >
> > >

> > --
> http://lists.mysql.com/mysql?unsub=1
> >

> ________________________________
> Be one of the first to try Windows Live Mail.
Thread
Access mySQL database across InternetNeil Tompkins10 Aug
  • Re: Access mySQL database across InternetDan Buettner10 Aug
RE: Access mySQL database across InternetNeil Tompkins10 Aug
  • Re: Access mySQL database across InternetDan Buettner10 Aug
    • Re: Access mySQL database across InternetDan Buettner10 Aug
RE: Access mySQL database across InternetNeil Tompkins11 Aug
  • Re: Access mySQL database across InternetDan Buettner11 Aug
  • RE: Access mySQL database across Internetbnewton11 Aug
RE: Access mySQL database across InternetNeil Tompkins15 Aug
  • Re: Access mySQL database across InternetDan Buettner15 Aug
RE: Access mySQL database across InternetNeil Tompkins15 Aug
  • Re: Access mySQL database across InternetChris16 Aug