List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Lee Goddard Date:August 3 2006 7:27pm
Subject:Re: Finding the closest value
View as plain text
Peter Brawley wrote:
> />Is there an efficient way to find the closest numerical value, across
> >three columns? I do not know if there is a way to find it across one. /
>
> Not sure about efficiency, but if the criterion number is @n, do you
> mean ...
>
> SELECT LEAST( ABS(MIN(@n-col1)),
>               LEAST( ABS(MIN(@n-col2)),
>                      ABS(MIN(@n-col3))
>                    )
>             )
> FROM ...
I think the formula is just right - very clever. But is it possible to
make sure that col1, col2 and col3 are all from the same record?

Thanks in anticipation
Lee

Thread
Finding the closest valueLee Goddard31 Jul
  • Re: Finding the closest valuePeter Brawley31 Jul
    • Re: Finding the closest valueLee Goddard3 Aug
      • Re: Finding the closest valuePeter Brawley4 Aug