List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Devananda Date:July 30 2006 3:10pm
Subject:Re: Stored procedures
View as plain text
Jon wrote:
> Hi list
>
> I'm trying to make stored procedures use parameters for limit and tables, I
> guess this is either me using the wrong datatype or it's not possible.  I'm
> having the same issue with seting the table for the query:
>
> CREATE  PROCEDURE sp_test1 (IN some_limit int)
> select * from some_table limit some_limit;
>
> and
> CREATE  PROCEDURE sp_test2 (IN some_table table)
> select * from some_table;
>

> Both fail with "ERROR 1064 (42000)".
>
> Can someone please shed some light on this for me? Is this a problem with
> procedures not being able to do this or is it wrong datatypes or something
> completely different?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Jon

It sounds like what you need is dynamic SQL in your stored procedures.
Check out http://forge.mysql.com/snippets/view.php?id=13 for some good
examples, more complex than what you're asking about, but they should
shed light on what you need to do.

Regards,
Devananda
Thread
Stored proceduresJon25 Jul
  • Re: Stored proceduresVisolve DB Team25 Jul
    • Re: Stored proceduresJon25 Jul
  • Re: Stored proceduresChris White25 Jul
    • Re: Stored proceduresJon Molin25 Jul
  • Re: Stored proceduresDevananda30 Jul
    • Re: Stored proceduresPeter Brawley30 Jul
      • Re: Stored proceduresJon31 Jul
RE: Stored proceduresDan Burke25 Jul
  • Re: Stored proceduresJon25 Jul
RE: Stored proceduresDan Burke26 Jul