List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:leo huang Date:July 28 2006 8:08am
Subject:Re: Can Innodb reuse the deleted rows disk space?
View as plain text
hi, Chris

So,  the deleted rows' disk space in tablespace can't re-use when I
use Innodb, can it? And the tablespace is growing when we update the
tables, even the amount of rows do not   increase.

Regards,
Leo Huang

2006/7/28, Chris <dmagick@stripped>:
> leo huang wrote:
> > hi, Chris
> >

> >> I'm sure it will, what makes you think it won't?
> > Because some paper say that when the row is deleted or update, Innodb
> > just make a mark that the row is deleted and it didn't delete the
> > rows. I can't find more information about the re-use tablespace. Can
> > you give me more?
>
> That's the way MVCC works. If you need full acid/transaction support,
> that's the only way it can do it (postgresql works exactly the same
> way). It can't just delete the row because you might roll back the
> transaction and it will have to undo that delete, or other transactions
> might be using it for whatever purpose.
>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/innodb-multi-versioning.html
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/file-space-management.html

Thread
Can Innodb reuse the deleted rows disk space?leo huang24 Jul
Re: Can Innodb reuse the deleted rows disk space?dilipkumar_parikh24 Jul
  • Re: Can Innodb reuse the deleted rows disk space?leo huang26 Jul
    • Re: Can Innodb reuse the deleted rows disk space?Chris26 Jul
      • Re: Can Innodb reuse the deleted rows disk space?leo huang26 Jul
        • Re: Can Innodb reuse the deleted rows disk space?Chris27 Jul
          • Re: Can Innodb reuse the deleted rows disk space?leo huang28 Jul
            • Re: Can Innodb reuse the deleted rows disk space?Chris28 Jul
              • Re: Can Innodb reuse the deleted rows disk space?leo huang28 Jul
                • Re: Can Innodb reuse the deleted rows disk space?Dan Nelson28 Jul
                  • Re: Can Innodb reuse the deleted rows disk space?Jochem van Dieten29 Jul
                    • Re: Can Innodb reuse the deleted rows disk space?Dan Nelson29 Jul
                      • Re: Can Innodb reuse the deleted rows disk space?leo huang1 Aug