List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Chris Date:July 28 2006 8:02am
Subject:Re: Can Innodb reuse the deleted rows disk space?
View as plain text
leo huang wrote:
> hi, Chris
>

>> I'm sure it will, what makes you think it won't?
> Because some paper say that when the row is deleted or update, Innodb
> just make a mark that the row is deleted and it didn't delete the
> rows. I can't find more information about the re-use tablespace. Can
> you give me more?

That's the way MVCC works. If you need full acid/transaction support,
that's the only way it can do it (postgresql works exactly the same
way). It can't just delete the row because you might roll back the
transaction and it will have to undo that delete, or other transactions
might be using it for whatever purpose.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/innodb-multi-versioning.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/file-space-management.html
Thread
Can Innodb reuse the deleted rows disk space?leo huang24 Jul
Re: Can Innodb reuse the deleted rows disk space?dilipkumar_parikh24 Jul
  • Re: Can Innodb reuse the deleted rows disk space?leo huang26 Jul
    • Re: Can Innodb reuse the deleted rows disk space?Chris26 Jul
      • Re: Can Innodb reuse the deleted rows disk space?leo huang26 Jul
        • Re: Can Innodb reuse the deleted rows disk space?Chris27 Jul
          • Re: Can Innodb reuse the deleted rows disk space?leo huang28 Jul
            • Re: Can Innodb reuse the deleted rows disk space?Chris28 Jul
              • Re: Can Innodb reuse the deleted rows disk space?leo huang28 Jul
                • Re: Can Innodb reuse the deleted rows disk space?Dan Nelson28 Jul
                  • Re: Can Innodb reuse the deleted rows disk space?Jochem van Dieten29 Jul
                    • Re: Can Innodb reuse the deleted rows disk space?Dan Nelson29 Jul
                      • Re: Can Innodb reuse the deleted rows disk space?leo huang1 Aug