List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Chris Date:July 26 2006 3:05am
Subject:Re: Can Innodb reuse the deleted rows disk space?
View as plain text
leo huang wrote:
> hi, Dilipkumar
>
> Thank you very much!
>
> I think I know the fact: The Innodb can't reuse the deleted rows' disk
> space. And a solution is: dump the data; shutdown mysql; delete the
> files; restart mysql; import the data.

InnoDB does re-use the space inside the database, it's the logfiles that
are growing. The logs are needed in case you need to replay transactions.

I suggest you read this page:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/adding-and-removing.html

and this page:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/innodb-parameters.html

Specify 2-3 entries in the innodb_data_file_path and mysql should (if
I'm reading it properly) rotate between the files and keep size under
control.
Thread
Can Innodb reuse the deleted rows disk space?leo huang24 Jul
Re: Can Innodb reuse the deleted rows disk space?dilipkumar_parikh24 Jul
  • Re: Can Innodb reuse the deleted rows disk space?leo huang26 Jul
    • Re: Can Innodb reuse the deleted rows disk space?Chris26 Jul
      • Re: Can Innodb reuse the deleted rows disk space?leo huang26 Jul
        • Re: Can Innodb reuse the deleted rows disk space?Chris27 Jul
          • Re: Can Innodb reuse the deleted rows disk space?leo huang28 Jul
            • Re: Can Innodb reuse the deleted rows disk space?Chris28 Jul
              • Re: Can Innodb reuse the deleted rows disk space?leo huang28 Jul
                • Re: Can Innodb reuse the deleted rows disk space?Dan Nelson28 Jul
                  • Re: Can Innodb reuse the deleted rows disk space?Jochem van Dieten29 Jul
                    • Re: Can Innodb reuse the deleted rows disk space?Dan Nelson29 Jul
                      • Re: Can Innodb reuse the deleted rows disk space?leo huang1 Aug