List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:April 17 1999 9:38pm
Subject:Re: [PHP3] Re: ERes for Linux (fwd)
View as plain text
[snippet from vendor response to customer inquiry]
>Yes, there are free (unsupported) SQL and scripting environments for Unix,
>for example, MySQL for the database and php for scripting, but although
>they are good for small development projects, no company on the market
>develops their professional systems using these tools.  MySQL is still
>quite buggy, and support is essentially non-existent.

Translation: The MySQL developers acknowledge bugs by calling them what
they are, they don't refer to them by the euphemistic term "issues" to
try to hide what they are.

Then the developers actually fix those bugs (sometimes within hours) and
post the patch, instead of putting you off for days, weeks, or months
by referring you to "official support channels" like the big companies
do.  And we users can actually *use* the patch because we have the source
code.

That doesn't qualify as "support" because we're not paying through
the nose for it, I guess.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Re: ERes for Linux (fwd)Christopher L Lott17 Apr