List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Andrew Kreps Date:July 11 2006 7:23pm
Subject:Re: How to look for balanced parenthesis?
View as plain text
As of Ultraedit version 12, it's not quite transparent, but it's
pretty close.  If you Open a file from FTP (File menu option), and hit
save, it will automatically upload the file to the server.  It's a
little slow on the save (as in hit save and count to 10), but it does
the job well.

Ultraedit seems to do a good job of keeping this functionality far
enough away from you to be easily accessible.  It's on an FTP submenu
of the File menu, and there are no toolbar buttons for Open From and
Save As to FTP by default.  You have to add them manually.  The server
setup is a bit clunky, but once you've added your account info, you
never have to do it again.

I have to say the cleanest implementation of this I've seen is in
KDevelop (KDE Application, Linux based but open source).  You just
type in a URL in the file open dialog, and it attempts to log into the
server.  If anonymous authentication fails, it prompts you for a
username and password, which you can optionally save in another app
called KWallet.  All of it happens inline, and it's very intuitive.
Unfortunately, I haven't had the heart to try to compile it under
Cygwin.  :)

On 7/11/06, Miles Thompson <miles@stripped> wrote:
> At 12:36 AM 7/11/2006, you wrote:
>
> UE still lives on my machine, but it's no longer my "daily editor" but it
> is invaluable if I have to look at a binary file. Ian Meade has a fine
> editor there. Maybe I should download the latest version and give it a try.
> When I last checked, its  FTPdown/Edit/FTPup cycle was not transparent, but
> that may have been v. 9 or v.10 - my copy is a pretty old v.7.
Thread
How to look for balanced parenthesis?mos9 Jul
  • Re: How to look for balanced parenthesis?Rhino9 Jul
    • Re: How to look for balanced parenthesis?Miles Thompson10 Jul
      • Re: How to look for balanced parenthesis?Hank11 Jul
        • Re: How to look for balanced parenthesis?Miles Thompson11 Jul
          • Re: How to look for balanced parenthesis?Andrew Kreps11 Jul
    • Re: How to look for balanced parenthesis?mos10 Jul
  • Re: How to look for balanced parenthesis?Miles Thompson10 Jul
  • Re: How to look for balanced parenthesis?Joerg Bruehe10 Jul
    • Re: How to look for balanced parenthesis?Pooly11 Jul
  • Re: How to look for balanced parenthesis?Rhino10 Jul