List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Miles Thompson Date:July 11 2006 12:51pm
Subject:Re: How to look for balanced parenthesis?
View as plain text
At 12:36 AM 7/11/2006, you wrote:

>>I used to use UltraEdit, but then switched to EditPlus because it can edit
>>remote files almost transparently. (Opening a file FTP's it down, you edit
>>local copy, Saving FTP's it back.)
>

>FYI - UltraEdit can do this - It uses SFTP over SSH to edit remote files.
>Works like a charm.
>
>-Hank
>mysql, query

It's funny how an editor-switch comes about. My old version of UE, could
not do this, and I really didn't care, except that the "editor question"
reared its head again on the PHP list. Keep in mind this was probably close
to four years ago.

The capability of EditPlus to edit remote files was promoted as one of the
things it could do - at the time I was working on a project for a client
for which there was no SSH access - so I downloaded it and began using it
occasionally ... and the use became more and more frequent.

UE still lives on my machine, but it's no longer my "daily editor" but it
is invaluable if I have to look at a binary file. Ian Meade has a fine
editor there. Maybe I should download the latest version and give it a try.
When I last checked, its  FTPdown/Edit/FTPup cycle was not transparent, but
that may have been v. 9 or v.10 - my copy is a pretty old v.7.

What I would really like would be EditPlus / UltraEdit simplicity and
speed, with the capability to interactively provide function names and
their parameters. Similar to VB or Zend Studio, BUT while working on the
server. Yeah, an oxyMORONIC request. <g>

Cheers - Miles

How to look for balanced parenthesis?mos9 Jul
  • Re: How to look for balanced parenthesis?Rhino9 Jul
    • Re: How to look for balanced parenthesis?Miles Thompson10 Jul
      • Re: How to look for balanced parenthesis?Hank11 Jul
        • Re: How to look for balanced parenthesis?Miles Thompson11 Jul
          • Re: How to look for balanced parenthesis?Andrew Kreps11 Jul
    • Re: How to look for balanced parenthesis?mos10 Jul
  • Re: How to look for balanced parenthesis?Miles Thompson10 Jul
  • Re: How to look for balanced parenthesis?Joerg Bruehe10 Jul
    • Re: How to look for balanced parenthesis?Pooly11 Jul
  • Re: How to look for balanced parenthesis?Rhino10 Jul