List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Rhino Date:July 9 2006 6:48pm
Subject:Re: How to look for balanced parenthesis?
View as plain text
----- Original Message -----
From: "mos" <mos99@stripped>
To: <mysql@stripped>
Sent: Sunday, July 09, 2006 1:35 PM
Subject: How to look for balanced parenthesis?

>I have a complicated SQL statement with around a dozen "if(this,val1,val2)"
>embedded in it and there are even nested If clauses. I'm getting syntax
>errors because I'm not balancing the "( )" properly. Is there any free
>software out there for Windows that I can copy and paste the SQL statement
>into that will show me where the parenthesis are unbalanced? It doesn't
>have to know about SQL, I just to either highlight the parenthesis range or
>find out when the parenthesis become out of sync.

I'm going to give you one answer that you almost certainly won't like:
Eclipse. Eclipse is an IDE for developing programs, especially Java, and it
has a parenthesis matcher which also handles braces and square brackets.
Installing Eclipse solely for the bracket matcher is a bit like using atomic
weapons to kill mosquitos but if you were going to develop applications
anyway and wanted a great IDE, it might be the answer to your problem. It's
free by the way. You can get it at http://eclipse.org.

Another editor that can also match brackets is PFE, Programmer's File
Editor. It's also free and is a good editor. You can find it many places,
including http://www.lancs.ac.uk/staff/steveb/cpaap/pfe/pfefiles.htm. It
only runs on Windows though.

Another decent little editor that has the feature is TextPad. It's also free
and can be found at http://www.textpad.com/.

There are probably more basic editors out there that have bracket matchers
but I can't name any for you. I'm not even sure what the feature you want is
supposed to be called: "bracket matcher", "parenthesis balancer", or
whatever. It's getting to be a pretty standard feature in editors in recent
years, although it doesn't seem to be in NotePad or WordPad.

--
Rhino

How to look for balanced parenthesis?mos9 Jul
  • Re: How to look for balanced parenthesis?Rhino9 Jul
    • Re: How to look for balanced parenthesis?Miles Thompson10 Jul
      • Re: How to look for balanced parenthesis?Hank11 Jul
        • Re: How to look for balanced parenthesis?Miles Thompson11 Jul
          • Re: How to look for balanced parenthesis?Andrew Kreps11 Jul
    • Re: How to look for balanced parenthesis?mos10 Jul
  • Re: How to look for balanced parenthesis?Miles Thompson10 Jul
  • Re: How to look for balanced parenthesis?Joerg Bruehe10 Jul
    • Re: How to look for balanced parenthesis?Pooly11 Jul
  • Re: How to look for balanced parenthesis?Rhino10 Jul