List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Tanner Postert Date:June 28 2006 9:27pm
Subject:Distinct problem
View as plain text
The situation is somewhat hard to describe, so please bare with me:

I am trying to group my results by the last activity on each row, my query
looks like this

select text, dt, item_id from table
where ....
group by item_id
order by dt DESC

here is an example record set.

text1,2006-06-28 10:00:00,4
text2,2006-06-28 10:15:00,4
text3,2006-06-28 10:30:00,8
text4,2006-06-28 11:00:00,8

the results from the above query would be:

text1,2006-06-28 10:00:00,4
text3,2006-06-28 10:30:00,8

my problem is that i want the other item to show up. the item with the most
recent DT. it is doing the grouping before it does the ordering. how do i
specify that I want to see the most recent info when it does the group?

thanks in advance.

Tanner

Thread
Distinct problemTanner Postert28 Jun
  • Re: Distinct problemDan Buettner28 Jun
  • Re: Distinct problemPeter Brawley29 Jun
    • Re: Distinct problemTanner Postert18 Jul
      • Re: Distinct problemTanner Postert18 Jul
        • Re: Distinct problemGerald L. Clark18 Jul