List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Graham Reeds Date:June 14 2006 8:12am
Subject: Differences between MySQL 4 and 5 for scripts
View as plain text
I have posted a similar question on the blojsom group but I feel I will
have better chance of an answer here.

Blojsom 3 was developed using MySQL5 for it's back end.  However the
host I am with uses 4.0.25 and are unwilling to upgrade - which is fair
enough.

So I decided to see what I can do to make the database creation scripts
MySQL4 compliant.  The CHARSET was the easy one - just change it to
CHARACTER SET but the next one was more tricky:

The problem I am having is that version 4 fails giving a syntax error
for the single quotation marks. It appears the script (which was written
on a Mac using MySQL dump 10.9 if that is any help) uses ` and not ',
but doing a general search and replace doesn't fix it.  I've searched
the online docs regarding quotes but came up short (too many hits with
too many unrelated items) so if anyone knows the exact url that would be
helpful too.

Here's a snippet of the code:
DROP TABLE IF EXISTS `Blog`;
CREATE TABLE `Blog` (
   `blog_id` varchar(50) NOT NULL,
   PRIMARY KEY  (`blog_id`)
) ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8;

Thanks, G.

Thread
Differences between MySQL 4 and 5 for scriptsGraham Reeds14 Jun
  • Re: Differences between MySQL 4 and 5 for scriptsDan Buettner14 Jun
    • Re: Differences between MySQL 4 and 5 for scriptsGraham Reeds14 Jun
      • Re: Differences between MySQL 4 and 5 for scriptsJim Winstead15 Jun
      • BBEdit tip (was: Differences between MySQL 4 and 5 for scripts)Chris Sansom15 Jun
  • Re: Differences between MySQL 4 and 5 for scriptsMichael Stassen14 Jun