List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Harrison Fisk Date:June 8 2006 3:59pm
Subject:Re: re[2]: MySQL (GPL License)
View as plain text
Hi Mike,

On Jun 8, 2006, at 10:52 AM, mos wrote:

> At 03:09 AM 6/8/2006, Rob Desbois wrote:
>> Douglas,
>>
>> If you are selling a product which requires your users download
>> MySQL or requires you distribute it with the product, you need a
>> commercial licence.
>> $595?! Ouch indeed...it's much cheaper if you're not using InnoDB,
>> although obviously that's a pretty major trade-off.
>
> Rob,
>         The $595 license applies to any MySQL database, whether it
> uses InnoDb or not. So if you are just using MyISAM tables, and you
> distribute applications without source code (outside of the GPL),
> then it is $595 per year. From my understanding, this "per year"
> license also applies to customers receiving your application. So if
> you sell 5,000 applications per year, over 5 years that would be
> 25,000 applications. If after that you stop selling the software or
> you go out of business, your customers will still have to shell out
> $14.8 million per year in licensing if they still use the software,
> whether they need support or not from MySQL AB. Ouch!

You are confusing the OEM licensing and MySQL Network.  Network
hasn't been around for 2 years yet, so you might be confusing the

MySQL Network is designed for people that aren't distributing the
MySQL server itself, but just using it in their own applications,
such as websites and so on.  It is designed to give added value to
MySQL community edition, such as advisors, support, etc...  This can
optionally include commercial versions if you don't want GPL software
for some reason.

The OEM license is designed if you want to redistribute MySQL bundled
in a product and generally is not charged as a per-year thing, but as
a per-shipped unit price.  For large deals, such as 25,000
applications, this would be negotiated separately taking into
considerations such as how much you charge, how many you are
shipping, how many you pre-purchase, etc... so I can't say exactly
how everything works for your individual case.

There is a very important difference between the two, as the Network
includes a lot of extra things that most likely your customers
wouldn't want or need, so hence it is more expensive.

See:

http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/licensing/
http://www.mysql.com/oem/products.html
http://www.mysql.com/oem/support.html

Harrison

--
Harrison C. Fisk, Trainer and Consultant
MySQL AB, www.mysql.com

Get a jumpstart on MySQL Cluster -- http://www.mysql.com/consulting/
packaged/cluster.html

Thread
MySQL (GPL License)Michael Louie Loria8 Jun
  • RE: MySQL (GPL License)SST - Adelaide)8 Jun
    • Re: MySQL (GPL License)Douglas Sims8 Jun
      • Re: MySQL (GPL License)Michael Louie Loria8 Jun
        • RE: MySQL (GPL License)Jimmy Guerrero8 Jun
      • RE: MySQL (GPL License)Daevid Vincent8 Jun
      • Re: MySQL (GPL License)mos8 Jun
        • Re: MySQL (GPL License)Douglas Sims8 Jun
          • Re: MySQL (GPL License)Douglas Sims8 Jun
          • re[2]: MySQL (GPL License)Rob Desbois8 Jun
            • re[2]: MySQL (GPL License)mos8 Jun
              • Re: re[2]: MySQL (GPL License)Harrison Fisk8 Jun
        • Re: MySQL (GPL License)Jochem van Dieten8 Jun