List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:mos Date:June 8 2006 2:52pm
Subject:re[2]: MySQL (GPL License)
View as plain text
At 03:09 AM 6/8/2006, Rob Desbois wrote:
>Douglas,
>
>If you are selling a product which requires your users download MySQL or
>requires you distribute it with the product, you need a commercial licence.
>$595?! Ouch indeed...it's much cheaper if you're not using InnoDB,
>although obviously that's a pretty major trade-off.

Rob,
         The $595 license applies to any MySQL database, whether it uses
InnoDb or not. So if you are just using MyISAM tables, and you distribute
applications without source code (outside of the GPL), then it is $595 per
year. From my understanding, this "per year" license also applies to
customers receiving your application. So if you sell 5,000 applications per
year, over 5 years that would be 25,000 applications. If after that you
stop selling the software or you go out of business, your customers will
still have to shell out $14.8 million per year in licensing if they still
use the software, whether they need support or not from MySQL AB. Ouch!

Mike

><

MySQL (GPL License)Michael Louie Loria8 Jun
  • RE: MySQL (GPL License)SST - Adelaide)8 Jun
    • Re: MySQL (GPL License)Douglas Sims8 Jun
      • Re: MySQL (GPL License)Michael Louie Loria8 Jun
        • RE: MySQL (GPL License)Jimmy Guerrero8 Jun
      • RE: MySQL (GPL License)Daevid Vincent8 Jun
      • Re: MySQL (GPL License)mos8 Jun
        • Re: MySQL (GPL License)Douglas Sims8 Jun
          • Re: MySQL (GPL License)Douglas Sims8 Jun
          • re[2]: MySQL (GPL License)Rob Desbois8 Jun
            • re[2]: MySQL (GPL License)mos8 Jun
              • Re: re[2]: MySQL (GPL License)Harrison Fisk8 Jun
        • Re: MySQL (GPL License)Jochem van Dieten8 Jun