List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Douglas Sims Date:June 8 2006 4:37am
Subject:Re: MySQL (GPL License)
View as plain text
Oh, one other thing.

The group that I work with at the one large company (call it company
"X") which Randy the MS rep was taking to lunch... is about to
upgrade some servers and spend somewhere around $250k on new MS SQL
server licenses.  I'm not really sure why.  (Oxygen deprivation could
explain it, except we seem to have plenty of oxgyen.)  How can I
possibly explain to them that we can port all of these web apps to
MySQL or some other database (I don't care... MySQL is my first
choice but Postgres is very nice but we could use database ABC or
Wally's DB or use flat files written in Mandarin Chinese for all I
care) for less money than we will spend on software on one upgrade
cycle?

Does anyone else have similar experiences?

Douglas Sims
Doug@stripped

On Jun 7, 2006, at 11:15 PM, Douglas Sims wrote:

> [...]
> year ago.  My company does consulting with a couple of large (US
> Fortune-500 companies) and unfortunately one of these is wedded to
> MS.  I work with MS-SQL quite a lot and generally find it inferior
> to MySQL and as Randy (the MS rep) was talking how you really did
> need to buy commercial licenses for MySQL, I pointed out that no
> you really didn't for web applications.  (He went on to point out
> what great support MS SQL had - I quickly agreed and said that MS
> SQL had the best support we could ever ask for... it's called
> "Google."  Randy still paid for the lunch :-)
>

> Douglas Sims
> Doug@stripped
>

> On Jun 7, 2006, at 10:20 PM, mos wrote:
>
>> At 08:15 PM 6/7/2006, you wrote:
>>> I believe that if you are only using MySQL for your company's
>>> internal needs, whether from a web server or for deployment to other
>>> company-owned locations, you don't need a commercial license.  For
>>> example, if your company owns fifiteen stores, you could set up a
>>> MySQL-based point-of-sale system at each one without needing a
>>> commercial license.  You only need to release your source code if
>>> you
>>> release your compiled code.
>>>
>>> Also, I believe the GPL requirement for sharing only applies if you
>>> have modified MySQL's object code, i.e. compiled your code into
>>> it or
>>> it into your code or linked object code to it.  If you are simply
>>> installing it as a database and communicating to it through DBI or
>>> ODBC or some other means which uses sockets or ports, you don't need
>>> to release your code under the GPL.
>>>
>>> Thus, you hardly ever need to purchase a commercial license.
>>>
>>> Please note that this is just my understanding.  I hope someone will
>>> correct if I have misstated anything here.
>>
>> Unfortunately that's not what MySQL AB licensing person told me.
>> The license is more strict than that. If your company distributes
>> an application that uses MySQL database inside the company (even
>> inside the same building), and you don't give the other dept the
>> source code (so it falls outside the gpl license) then the dept
>> receiving the application needs to have a MySQL license. In other
>> words, the complete application source code must follow the
>> application.
>>
>> If you have a commercial application running in Windows, and
>> expect to sell a lot of applications, it will cost you $595 per
>> database server *per year*.
>> See https://shop.mysql.com/network.html?rz=s2. I didn't realize
>> myself it is now a per server/per year pricing either and it came
>> as quite a shock to me system. This can add up if you have a
>> thousand applications in circulation because each customer needs
>> to pay $595/year. If this is too pricey for you, there are open
>> source databases out there that are free to use and free to
>> distribute. FireBird and ProgreSQL come to mind. And there are
>> other commercial databases where you pay up front and have no

MySQL (GPL License)Michael Louie Loria8 Jun
  • RE: MySQL (GPL License)SST - Adelaide)8 Jun
    • Re: MySQL (GPL License)Douglas Sims8 Jun
      • Re: MySQL (GPL License)Michael Louie Loria8 Jun
        • RE: MySQL (GPL License)Jimmy Guerrero8 Jun
      • RE: MySQL (GPL License)Daevid Vincent8 Jun
      • Re: MySQL (GPL License)mos8 Jun
        • Re: MySQL (GPL License)Douglas Sims8 Jun
          • Re: MySQL (GPL License)Douglas Sims8 Jun
          • re[2]: MySQL (GPL License)Rob Desbois8 Jun
            • re[2]: MySQL (GPL License)mos8 Jun
              • Re: re[2]: MySQL (GPL License)Harrison Fisk8 Jun
        • Re: MySQL (GPL License)Jochem van Dieten8 Jun