List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Buettner Date:June 2 2006 9:03pm
Subject:Re: Uninstall old version
View as plain text
Hello -

Yes, looks you've got two versions installed.  One is in your PATH
(where UNIX looks for items by default), and one is not.

To remove your old version, execute 'whereis mysql' from your command
prompt and you will get the full path to the mysql version it knows
about and is running when you invoke 'mysql'.

Assuming you've got everything out of there you need, remove the
directory path you got from above. ** THIS WILL MAKE IT ALL GO AWAY;
TAKE CARE.  NOTE YOUR DATABASES MIGHT STILL BE IN THERE!

Then, you can add the latest version of mysql to your PATH so you don't
have to type the full path every time.  If you're using the bash shell
(default in 10.4), edit a file called ".profile" (no quotes) in your
home directory.  Create it if it does not exist.  Put this line in it:
export PATH=${PATH}:/usr/local/mysql/bin
then open a new Terminal window and "mysql" should run OK.

Hope this helps.

Dan

nngau wrote:

> I was able to install the mysql 5.0 on my machine. But it
> Looks like there is a older version of mysql that was installed.
>
> When I run this command:
>
> mysql --version
> mysql  Ver 14.7 Distrib 4.1.13a, for apple-darwin8.0
>
> Now I need to remove this version because when I
> Type the command mysql to run, I get the following error:
>
> ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/var/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
>
> So now I type this command:
> /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql
>
> And I'm able to connect to version 5.0.
>
> Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
> Your MySQL connection id is 5 to server version:
> 5.0.22-max
>
> Now I would like to remove this older version. Does anyone know how to do
> that
> Without affecting verion 5.0? I am on a Mac OS 10.4.5 PowerPC.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Ngim

Thread
Automatically add +1 every 30minsAlex Major2 Jun
  • Re: Automatically add +1 every 30minsMiles Thompson2 Jun
  • Re: Automatically add +1 every 30minsDan Buettner2 Jun
    • Re: Automatically add +1 every 30minsMiles Thompson2 Jun
      • Re: Automatically add +1 every 30minsDouglas Sims2 Jun
        • Uninstall old versionnngau2 Jun
          • Re: Uninstall old versionDan Buettner2 Jun
        • RE: Automatically add +1 every 30minsDaevid Vincent4 Jun