List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Daniel McQuay Date:May 29 2006 11:35pm
Subject:Re: i'm at a complete loss?
View as plain text
Thanks Greg, I did try that here is what happened.

boxster# mysql -u root -p
Enter password:
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
password: NO)
boxster#

So I really just don't know what to do from here. I'm up for any ideas if
any one has 'em.

On 5/29/06, Greg Maruszeczka <greg@stripped> wrote:

> On Sun, 28 May 2006 20:17:53 -0400
> "Daniel McQuay" <simplebob@stripped> wrote:
>
> > Hello list,
> >
> > I just installed MySQL on my FreeBSD box here at home and am having a
> > few problems with privileges. I can connect to mysql using; mysql -u
> > mysql and there is no password needed. However, when I try to connect
> > to the server using root; mysql -u root I get an error;
> > <snip>
> > ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
> > password: NO)
> > </snip>
> > so reading that it appears that I need a password so i try; mysql -u
> > root -p it prompts me for my root pass and when I put it in it does
> > that same thing above but with (using password: YES).
> >
> > I went to the the MySQL web site and read 2.10.3 Securing the Initial
> > MySQL Accounts and tried following along with that but with no luck.
> > When checking google for help I read a lot about the initial
> > installation. Something about /usr/local/bin/mysql_install_db will
> > install a privilege table.
> >
> > I installed mysql using this guide here
> > http://raybdbomb.com/p/mysql-install-on-freebsd.html and every thing
> > seemed to go well but like I said I keep getting this error. Is there
> > something else I should do? Any help on this would be MUCH
> > appreciated.
> >

> Hi,
>
> Wasn't clear to me in reading your post that you did this so here
> goes:
>
> Did you actually set a root password for mysql using a GRANT
> statement after logging in with the default BLANK password?
>
> mysql -u root -p [then just hit enter]
>
> HTH,

Daniel McQuay
simplebob@stripped
boxster.homelinux.org
814.825.0847

Thread
i'm at a complete loss?Daniel McQuay29 May
  • Re: i'm at a complete loss?Greg Maruszeczka29 May
    • Re: i'm at a complete loss?Daniel McQuay30 May
      • Re: i'm at a complete loss?David Griffiths30 May
        • Re: i'm at a complete loss?Daniel McQuay30 May
          • RE: i'm at a complete loss?SST - Adelaide)30 May