List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jay Pipes Date:May 26 2006 1:57pm
Subject:Re: fetch floats/doubles in native binary representation
View as plain text
Andras Pal wrote:
> Hi,
>   I've a large table with lots of floats (or doubles) that i want to query
> using C API. By default, in C, the rows are returned as a type of char **,
> therefore floating numbers are returned as ascii strings. Is it possible
> to fetch somehow directly these numbers in their original binary
> representation? I know it is architecture-dependent, but if we use
> localhost, it won't cause any problem if the result is casted directy to
> (float) and/or (double). For our problem, it would be much more efficent
> to do the queries this way than the server converts the number to ascii,
> the client converts the number againt to binary (on the same machine), and
> we do what we want to do after it (which is a simple multiplication, not
> as time consuming as two conversions...).

Hi Andras!

Why not have the MySQL server do the computation, if it is a simple
multiplication?  Can you post the code you are using so we might suggest
an alternative solution?

Jay Pipes
Community Relations Manager, North America, MySQL Inc.
Roaming North America, based in Columbus, Ohio
email: jay@stripped	mob: +1 614 406 1267

Are You MySQL Certified?
Got Cluster?
fetch floats/doubles in native binary representationAndras Pal26 May
  • Re: fetch floats/doubles in native binary representationJay Pipes26 May