List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:nigel wood Date:May 24 2006 7:19pm
Subject:Re: Replicating queries to testing server
View as plain text
Dan Trainor wrote:

>> Hi -
>>
>> I would like to be able to replicate all queries from a live MySQL
>> server, to a testing server at the office.
>>
>> The reason for doing this is to test load under [semi]real-world
>> conditions with the new server.
>

> Hi -
>
> So I was thinking about this more, and then it dawned on me.  This is
> simple MySQL replication.
>
> Sorry for wasting the time.

No, it isn't. Selects aren't replicated nor is the timing true to catch
contention problems.  I've done this recently and whilst I don't have
time now I'll post my solution tomorrow. Assuming:

A) Your using *nux
B) Your application(s) and database are hosted on different machines
C) You have root access on one of the boxes
D) You can take a live db snapshot

It will let you record and playback your database server's load.

HTH

Nigel
Thread
Replicating queries to testing serverDan Trainor24 May
  • Re: Replicating queries to testing serverDan Trainor24 May
    • Re: Replicating queries to testing servernigel wood24 May
      • Re: Replicating queries to testing serverDan Trainor24 May
      • Re: Replicating queries to testing serverDan Trainor13 Jun
  • Re: Replicating queries to testing serverJake Peavy14 Jun
    • Re: Replicating queries to testing serverDan Trainor14 Jun
      • Re: Replicating queries to testing serverScott Tanner14 Jun
        • Re: Replicating queries to testing serverAtle Veka14 Jun
          • Re: Replicating queries to testing serverDan Trainor14 Jun