List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:mos Date:May 20 2006 4:18pm
Subject:Re: Looking for free MySQL Administrator
View as plain text
At 10:10 AM 5/20/2006, Keith Roberts wrote:
>http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/index.php
>
>I think phpmyadmin will allow you to make changes to
>multiple columns at once.

Sorry, I should have mentioned I was looking for a MySQL Administrator
running on Windows. Going through PHP seems like a round about way of
accessing the database since I don't have PHP running and the database is
not on the web. It's running on the local machine. I suppose I could
install Apache and PHP and modify the database through a browser, but it
seems a bit awkard.

>For any major changes to a database such as you describe, if
>you have the disk space, I would advise copying the database
>and performing your changes on the copy, just in case you do
>make an irreversible mistake.

Its not a production database and I have backups. All of the data can be
regenerated if needed.

>At least you will still have
>the original tables to work with again, and not loose your
>database. As a matter of interest, how large is the database
>in MB's or GB's?

Pretty small, around 44gb. I had some tables that had 100 million rows in
it now its down to 34 million rows. I had tried for 500 million rows in one
table but had to split it into smaller tables because the index could not
be built (kept running out of memory).

Mike

>On Sat, 20 May 2006, mos wrote:
>
> > To: mysql@stripped
> > From: mos <mos99@stripped>
> > Subject: Looking for free MySQL Administrator
> >
> > I'm looking for a MySQL administrator for 4.x/5.x that will allow me to
> > make multiple changes to a table structure without reloading the data
> > after each change. The problem is I may have to change 5 columns on a 10
> > million row table. As it stands now with the administrator I'm using, it
> > will reload the table after each change (very slow because it means 5
> > reloads-1 for each column). So I need to "batch" the 5 table changes then
> > have it alter the table. (Of course I could use Alter Table with multiple
> > columns but if I make a mistake, there goes data for 10 million
> > rows-Ouch!)
> >
> > Any suggestions? TIA
> >
> > Mike
>
>--

Looking for free MySQL Administratormos20 May
  • Re: Looking for free MySQL AdministratorKeith Roberts20 May
    • Re: Looking for free MySQL Administratormos20 May
      • Re: Looking for free MySQL AdministratorChris W20 May
      • Re: Looking for free MySQL AdministratorJohn Hicks20 May
        • Re: Looking for free MySQL Administratormos21 May
          • Re: Looking for free MySQL AdministratorPhil Robbins22 May
            • Re: Looking for free MySQL AdministratorDan Nelson22 May
  • RE: Looking for free MySQL AdministratorRithish Saralaya23 May
RE: Looking for free MySQL AdministratorRajesh Mehrotra23 May
RE: Looking for free MySQL AdministratorGeorge Law23 May