List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Keith Roberts Date:May 20 2006 3:10pm
Subject:Re: Looking for free MySQL Administrator
View as plain text
http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/index.php

I think phpmyadmin will allow you to make changes to
multiple columns at once.

For any major changes to a database such as you describe, if
you have the disk space, I would advise copying the database
and performing your changes on the copy, just in case you do
make an irreversible mistake. At least you will still have
the original tables to work with again, and not loose your
database. As a matter of interest, how large is the database
in MB's or GB's?

Once you are sure you know EXACTLY what you are doing to
your database, then it should be safe to work on the live
database, and perform the changes to that.

Just my 2c

Kind Regards

Keith

in practice they are not.

On Sat, 20 May 2006, mos wrote:

> To: mysql@stripped
> From: mos <mos99@stripped>
> Subject: Looking for free MySQL Administrator
>
> I'm looking for a MySQL administrator for 4.x/5.x that will allow me to
> make multiple changes to a table structure without reloading the data
> after each change. The problem is I may have to change 5 columns on a 10
> million row table. As it stands now with the administrator I'm using, it
> will reload the table after each change (very slow because it means 5
> reloads-1 for each column). So I need to "batch" the 5 table changes then
> have it alter the table. (Of course I could use Alter Table with multiple
> columns but if I make a mistake, there goes data for 10 million
> rows-Ouch!)
>
> Any suggestions? TIA
>
> Mike
Thread
Looking for free MySQL Administratormos20 May
  • Re: Looking for free MySQL AdministratorKeith Roberts20 May
    • Re: Looking for free MySQL Administratormos20 May
      • Re: Looking for free MySQL AdministratorChris W20 May
      • Re: Looking for free MySQL AdministratorJohn Hicks20 May
        • Re: Looking for free MySQL Administratormos21 May
          • Re: Looking for free MySQL AdministratorPhil Robbins22 May
            • Re: Looking for free MySQL AdministratorDan Nelson22 May
  • RE: Looking for free MySQL AdministratorRithish Saralaya23 May
RE: Looking for free MySQL AdministratorRajesh Mehrotra23 May
RE: Looking for free MySQL AdministratorGeorge Law23 May