List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Daevid Vincent Date:May 19 2006 9:45pm
Subject:Need a query to show distinct IP dotted quad components
View as plain text
I have a table of many IP addresses. I'm doing some PHP/JS/AJAX to populate
a select box based upon what someone types in a search field. That works
great, except that a user can spend a lot of time guessing as to what
possible IPs exist.

What I'd like to do now is one of those "google" suggestions thingys where
as you type an IP it suggests the DISTINCT possible next numbers in a
drop-down <DIV>.

So if I had:

	192.168.12.[1 .. 254]
	192.168.15.[1 .. 254]
	192.168.158.[1 .. 254]
	172.16.2.[1 .. 254]

Then if I typed "1", the suggestions would be:

	192.168.12.
	192.168.15.
	192.168.158.
	172.16.2.

Then if I typed a "9" next (so I have "19" in the box) the suggestions would
be:

	192.168.12.
	192.168.15.
	192.168.158.

Skipping forward, if I had "192.168.15" in the box the suggestions should
be:

	192.168.15.
	192.168.158.

And so forth...

Anyone have any hints or ideas as to how to formulate a SQL query or bunch
of queries to get these 'lists' of results?

I'd also be okay with it only working on quad boundaries (.) if that is
substantially easier.

I currently store IPs as INT values for obvious reasons, but there is the
handy "INET_NTOA(IP) as niceip" so a HAVING clause should be able to use
that I suspect.

Thanks,

Daevid.

Thread
Need a query to show distinct IP dotted quad componentsDaevid Vincent19 May