List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:sheeri kritzer Date:May 19 2006 3:59pm
Subject:Re: Is This A Redundant Info Example?
View as plain text
It depends on what the data is being used for.  If you want to know
what address an order was shipped to then you need the historical
address info.  If all you need is the current customer address,
because, say, you're sending out holiday cards, then you might not
need to keep an old address.

Martin's explanation didn't say anything about deleting the data.

Your idea isn't a bad one, although I shy away from boolean flags
because you have to be careful about the indexes for it.

-Sheeri

On 5/19/06, Jay Blanchard <jblanchard@stripped> wrote:
> [snip]
> > Well, one reason could be, for example, that the address changes
> > over time and they want to know what address the customer was
> > when the order was processed.
> [/snip]
>
> So you would delete an old customer address in favor of a new one? I
> would rather have an 'active/inactive' column with an accompanying date
> stamp.

Thread
Is This A Redundant Info Example?Mark Sargent19 May
  • Re: Is This A Redundant Info Example?Martijn Tonies19 May
    • Re: Is This A Redundant Info Example?sheeri kritzer19 May
  • Re: Is This A Redundant Info Example?Martijn Tonies19 May
  • Re: Is This A Redundant Info Example?John Hicks19 May
RE: Is This A Redundant Info Example?Jay Blanchard19 May
RE: Is This A Redundant Info Example?Bob)19 May
RE: Is This A Redundant Info Example?Jay Blanchard19 May
  • Re: Is This A Redundant Info Example?sheeri kritzer19 May
  • Re: Is This A Redundant Info Example?Martijn Tonies20 May