List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:sheeri kritzer Date:May 19 2006 3:40pm
Subject:Re: how to default column value to lower( )
View as plain text
Not that I know of, but if you don't do binary (case-sensitive)
searching then does it really matter?? You can retrieve with LOWER, or
put it in your application, if your application needs to display it
that way.

-Sheeri

On 5/18/06, Ferindo Middleton <ferindo.middleton@stripped> wrote:
> I have column and I want to make sure the db is always making sure the value
> that gets input into this VARCHAR() column is always lowercase;
>
> Is there a way to set the value of a column within a table to automatically
> be lowercase. I know how to use the LOWER() function when performing queries
> but is there a way to define LOWER( ) within the definition of the table
> column itself without having the application specify LOWER( ) to any value
> passed to this column or if a record had to be manually input and the admin
> forgot to make sure all the characters were lowercase.
>
> Ferindo

Thread
how to default column value to lower( )Ferindo Middleton18 May
  • Re: how to default column value to lower( )sheeri kritzer19 May
    • Re: how to default column value to lower( )Jay Pipes19 May
      • Re: how to default column value to lower( )Ferindo Middleton19 May
  • Re: how to default column value to lower( )Martijn Tonies19 May