List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:gerald_clark Date:May 16 2006 7:08pm
Subject:Re: Converting varchar field into primary key
View as plain text
Jonathan Mangin wrote:

>>>I'm creating a new MySQL database from an existing Filemaker db.
>>>
>>>My problem is that some of the existing 'numbers' in one column (it
>>>was a text field in FMP) have leading zeros. eg: 003, 0007, 012,
>>>001234. I need to maintain these numbers 'as is' - complete with
>>>zeros. I've tried all the numeric data types and they all seem to
>>>strip these leading zeros. Is it possible to have a numeric field
>>>type which will maintain those zeros? I want this column to become
>>>the primary key.
>>>

>>"leading zeros" is a typical "display requirement".
>>
>>An integer value does not have something as leading zeros.
>>
>>Why not make the VARCHAR the PK and keep the datatype?
>>
>>Martijn Tonies
>>Database Workbench - development tool for MySQL, and more!
>>

>The manual states (among other things) declaring a column:
>
>int(6) zerofill
>
>will left pad the column with zeros.
>003 will become 000003.

This won't work with his 3, 4, and 6 character examples.
Thread
Converting varchar field into primary keyKim Kohen16 May
  • Re: Converting varchar field into primary keyMartijn Tonies16 May
  • Re: Converting varchar field into primary keyJonathan Mangin16 May
    • Re: Converting varchar field into primary keygerald_clark16 May