List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jonathan Mangin Date:May 16 2006 6:43pm
Subject:Re: Converting varchar field into primary key
View as plain text
> > I'm creating a new MySQL database from an existing Filemaker db.
> >
> > My problem is that some of the existing 'numbers' in one column (it
> > was a text field in FMP) have leading zeros. eg: 003, 0007, 012,
> > 001234. I need to maintain these numbers 'as is' - complete with
> > zeros. I've tried all the numeric data types and they all seem to
> > strip these leading zeros. Is it possible to have a numeric field
> > type which will maintain those zeros? I want this column to become
> > the primary key.
>
> "leading zeros" is a typical "display requirement".
>
> An integer value does not have something as leading zeros.
>
> Why not make the VARCHAR the PK and keep the datatype?
>
> Martijn Tonies
> Database Workbench - development tool for MySQL, and more!

The manual states (among other things) declaring a column:

int(6) zerofill

will left pad the column with zeros.
003 will become 000003.

Thread
Converting varchar field into primary keyKim Kohen16 May
  • Re: Converting varchar field into primary keyMartijn Tonies16 May
  • Re: Converting varchar field into primary keyJonathan Mangin16 May
    • Re: Converting varchar field into primary keygerald_clark16 May