List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Rhino Date:May 12 2006 8:03pm
Subject:Re: Returning records in a circle
View as plain text
I'm sorry but I think you're all making this more complicated than it needs
to be.

I could easily write a Java program that obtained a result set, then
processed that set in almost any way you wanted, including two records at a
time. I could probably do the same in Perl or any other language supported
by MySQL, although it might take a bit of time to learn the necessary parts
of the language. Processing a result set is a very well-understood process
and has been widely done millions of times in dozens of languages. You
should not need to add any columns to the table to do it either.

I might be able to offer more detail - and maybe even an example! - if a few
things were explained to me. I'm still not clear on why two records are
being processed at a time and what the relationship is between the records.
About the only time I see twinned records are when someone is doing an
accounting application where each debit is matched by an offsetting credit.
But this doesn't seem to the case here. Perhaps you don't need to process
two records at once?

Also, am I right in assuming that you are allowing new records to be written
to the table - and allowing existing records to be updated - while you run
your query? If yes, is it possible that the keys of the new records will be
interspersed with the existing keys? Or will new records always have a key
value that is higher than the highest previous key value? If inserts and
updates are happening, do they absolutely HAVE to happen simultaneously with
your query? Or could you store them off to the side briefly or even just
suspend the insert and update applications while the query runs?

If there are no inserts and updates to worry about, you should be able to
avoid any updates of duplicates by simply sorting all of the desired rows
into order based on the key and then processing them one (or two) at a time.
Things get a bit trickier if the table is being updated/inserted while your
new program is running.

I don't want to say much more until you've clarified what it is you are
doing....

--
Rhino