List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:David Logan Date:May 12 2006 10:51am
Subject:Re: MySQL commercial licence
View as plain text
Adam Lipscombe wrote:

>Folks,
>

>We have a commercial product that uses mysql 4.0.24. We bought  a commercial
>licence for this version.
>We want to upgrade to 5.0.21.
>
>I spoke with the MySQL saleswoman this morning and she says they don't do
>upgrades and want another entire licence fee for v5.x.
>

>Does anyone else have experience of this? Upgrading commercial licences?
>What's the story?
>

>Thanks - Adam

Hi Adam,

That is a very interesting development. Is your license under the MySQL
Network? I am considering using this for a number of new servers and
would have to rethink my strategy if this is the case.

I notice their Network FAQ has

Q: Does MySQL Network include MySQL 5.0?
A: Yes, MySQL Network includes all updates and upgrades including MySQL 5.0

It is also very interesting that the Network product automatically
includes a GPL covered product rather than a commercial one by default.
How many people actually check on that before purchase? Are they aware
they have purchased a GPL product and are now obligated under that
license to GPL their distributed products?

Regards

--

David Logan
South Australia

when in trouble, or in doubt
run in circles, scream and shout

Thread
PRINT statement?Stephen Cook7 May
  • Re: PRINT statement?Rhino7 May
    • Re: PRINT statement?Stephen Cook11 May
  • Re: PRINT statement?Rhino11 May
RE: PRINT statement?Quentin Bennett11 May
  • Re: PRINT statement?Rhino11 May
    • Re: PRINT statement?Stephen Cook12 May
      • Re: PRINT statement?Peter Brawley12 May
        • Re: PRINT statement?Stephen Cook12 May
          • Re: PRINT statement?Mark Leith12 May
            • MySQL commercial licenceAdam Lipscombe12 May
              • Re: MySQL commercial licenceDavid Logan12 May
                • RE: MySQL commercial licenceAdam Lipscombe12 May
                  • Re: MySQL commercial licencesheeri kritzer12 May
          • Re: PRINT statement?Peter Brawley12 May
            • Re: PRINT statement?Stephen Cook13 May