List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:November 28 1999 8:30pm
Subject:Re: What to look for in a mysqld lockup.
View as plain text

Scott> Vivek Khera <khera@stripped> wrote:
SH> We have a machine on which mysqld is locking up under heavy load.
Scott> The CPU
SH> load goes to 100%, split between sys and user (usually, around 75%
Scott> user and
SH> 25% system, but there was one with a more even split, about 50/50).
Scott> mysqld

>> Don't you think this might answer your question about problems with
>> FreeBSD threading?  Just a guess ;-)

Scott> Maybe - but the system has run very well for over six months at heavier and
Scott> heavier loads.  I can't replicate the problems on my tame staging box, even
Scott> under greater load levels.  I have full confidence in the version of
Scott> FreeBSD we're using.  Yes, Linux or Solaris may not have this particular
Scott> problem, which has no bearing on their overall stability for what we're
Scott> doing, because they likely have other, different problems.

Scott> Besides, the references I've seen to MYSQL and threading problems in
Scott> FreeBSD3.3 seemed very specific.

Scott> Richard KHOO write:
>> Maybe your computer is over-heating.

Scott> Thanks for playing.

Scott> Sinisa wrote:
>> This seems like a typical bug in OS / c and thread libs !!

Scott> Great, but... this doesn't really help me fix the problem!  Sure, I could
Scott> randomly change operating systems and kernels and versions until no
Scott> problems are seen, a process I could easily spend months on.  I'm looking
Scott> for hints on what things to look for, next time that this problem happens,
Scott> in hopes of being able to track down the _actual_ problem.

Scott> Later,
Scott> scott

Hi!

Could you try MySQL 3.22.6 ; I added to this version some macros to
avoid thread switching when calculating statistics on FreeBSD and on
at least one system this gave a speed increase of 10 times on a
FreeBSD system under load.

Regards,
Monty
Thread
What to look for in a mysqld lockup.Scott Hess9 Nov
  • Re: What to look for in a mysqld lockup.Richard KHOO9 Nov
  • Re: What to look for in a mysqld lockup.sinisa9 Nov
  • Re: What to look for in a mysqld lockup.Vivek Khera9 Nov
  • Re: What to look for in a mysqld lockup.Scott Hess9 Nov
    • Re: What to look for in a mysqld lockup.Don Read11 Nov
    • Re: What to look for in a mysqld lockup.Michael Widenius28 Nov
  • What to look for in a mysqld lockup.Michael Widenius10 Nov
  • Re: What to look for in a mysqld lockup.Rick Moore29 Nov
    • Re: What to look for in a mysqld lockup.Michael Widenius29 Nov