List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Quentin Bennett Date:May 11 2006 3:59am
Subject:RE: PRINT statement?
View as plain text
From Transact-SQL Help file:

PRINT

Returns a user-defined message to the client.

Syntax
PRINT 'any ASCII text' | @local_variable | @@FUNCTION | string_expr

Arguments
'any ASCII text'

Is a string of text.

@local_variable

Is a variable of any valid character data type. @local_variable must be char or varchar,
or be able to be implicitly converted to those data types.

@@FUNCTION

Is a function that returns string results. @@FUNCTION must be char or varchar, or be able
to be implicitly converted to those data types.

string_expr

Is an expression that returns a string. Can include concatenated literal values and
variables. The message string can be up to 8,000 characters long; any characters after
8,000 are truncated.