Parang Saraf wrote:
hello,

I am relatively new in this field. I am designing a database to store the
events extracted from the oceans. This project later demands of publishing
data on web. I am not able to decide which database to use. Mysql with
spatial extension or the postgis one. I would prefer to use windows platform.

Can someone suggest or can provide me with some links that compare the two
databases. Do you think Mysql has a better spatial elements handling
capacity in comparison to postgis.?
MySQL's current OpenGis implementation is of a part of the "simple" OpenGis spec. PostGis doesn't do speherical geometry either, AFAIK. There is a MySQL-PostGres comparison at http://monstera.man.poznan.pl/wiki/index.php/Mysql_vs_postgres.

PB

please reply soon.

Thanks and Regards
Parang Saraf
parang.saraf@gmail.com

No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.392 / Virus Database: 268.5.5/334 - Release Date: 5/8/2006