List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Gary Richardson Date:May 9 2006 4:21pm
Subject:Re: customer id - made the worst possible way
View as plain text
I would drop the primary key off of your cust_id and add a new field like
customer_id and relink using the old fk.

I'd probably do this by creating a new table and doing an INSERT INTO SELECT
FROM to populate the autoincrement and rename the table.. From there, add
the fk's to your other tables and update those records. I'd probably keep
the cust_id in your primary customer table for tracking purposes..