List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Brian J. Matt Date:April 27 2006 5:37pm
Subject:How to select the last entry per item
View as plain text
Hi,

I hope this is the right list for this question. If not, I'm happy
to get help on where to post this question.  Apologies in advance if
this is an old question.

We are designing a simple a tracking database with a table of entries
showing the current location of each item in the system.  Something
simple like this.

Table_xyz
item_id | location | status | time_stamp

As the items move new time stamped entries are added to the
database.  How would you query to find the current location of all
the items currently in the system.  As you might expect we don't want
to replace the entry for an item when a location update is made
because we need to keep the history.  We plan on removing items after
a suitable delay when they reach their destination.

Thanks

-Brian

Thread
How to select the last entry per itemBrian J. Matt27 Apr
  • RE: How to select the last entry per itemTim Lucia27 Apr
  • Re: How to select the last entry per itemTerry Burton28 Apr
  • Re: How to select the last entry per itemPeter Brawley28 Apr
    • Re: How to select the last entry per itemShawn Green28 Apr