List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Nicolas Verhaeghe Date:April 26 2006 6:53pm
Subject:RE: Calculate LONG/LAT from ZIP+4 (positve vs. negative longitude)
View as plain text
I think I said that earlier, but the distance between two zip codes deal is
inaccurate, yet useful, for instance on a Classified Ads Web site.

As for the Zip+4, I do not know of any database that gives the latitude and
longitude for them specifically. But I am certain it has to exist.

The US Post Office sells there Zip+4 database for I think a thousand
dollars. From there I guess you could use some tool to translate these Zip+4
into their lat/lon values, but bombarding someone's Web site with tens of
thousands of requests to do that translation is not necessarily a nice thing
to do.

I know that http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert?form=address is a site
where you are invited to do it, by sending your CSV. You are also invited to
click on the many ads.

Also, in order to do the Zip+4 translation, you need a good CASS
certification script. Most of these products are expensive. You could
program your own, but from talking to a programmer who created such a
product, it takes years to come with a good one, because people misspell
their street addresses in so many ways, it's not even funny.

For information, the Canadian Post Office 6-character postal code is a
"zip+4" code of some sort, as the 3 first alphanumerical are the equivalent
of the 5-digit US zip code and the last 3 the equivalent or the 4-digit
"plus 4".