List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Chris Sansom Date:April 25 2006 2:17pm
Subject:Re: Stumped again by joins
View as plain text
At 15:56 +0200 25/4/06, Barry wrote:
>Updating is always such a bad idea ;P
>Do you know: never touch a running system? ^_^

Hmmm...

>And you don't see any misdone queries when you echo them, right?
>Hope you checked that.

Yes, they look just fine - in any case they're unchanged from when it
was working perfectly in 3.23

>ENCODE = NOT CODED into CODED
>DECODE = CODED into NOT CODED
>
>So encode the input into query and encode it afterwards :)

Yes, tried that - no good. In any case...

>>At first I thought the upgrade or utf8 might be having some effect
>>on the way "like '%...%'" works, but another simpler search uses
>>that and it's fine.

...there's no en/decoding involve there and it works fine.

>So in simple words. You tried also to query the Table without
>encoding it first into UTF-8?

With and without. But anyway, as I understand it, something like
'olympic' or 'london' (another thing I'm test-searching for because
just about every guide mentions London somewhere in their biography -
they're London guides, see? :-) ) is the same whether or not it's
encoded... no?

>There are various, and the main spot here is the ENCODING of UTF-8.

That's more or less the conclusion I've come to as well, but I can't
seem to make a difference whichever way round I do it. I'm also
wondering now if it might be a PHP issue after all - something I've
missed about form input, but I realise this list isn't the right
place to follow that up.

>More infos will be great.
>It surely is tricky.

Yep.

>I am not quite sure but using biography.guide_id instead of
>b.guide_id would probably solve the problem.
>I know that using aliases in WHERE clauses don't work really good,
>so try this also please.

OK, I have, and it still makes no difference. Anyway, I reiterate: it
worked perfectly in 3.23.x - surely something basic like this
couldn't have got /worse/ through the version upgrades? And for what
it's worth I tried taking the 'as' out too, which I gather is now
optional - no diff.

--
Cheers... Chris
Highway 57 Web Development -- http://highway57.co.uk/

Star Wars won't work.
    -- Frank Zappa
Thread
Stumped again by joinsChris Sansom25 Apr
  • Re: Stumped again by joinsBarry25 Apr
    • Re: Stumped again by joinsChris Sansom25 Apr
    • Re: Stumped again by joinsChris Sansom25 Apr
      • Re: Stumped again by joinsgerald_clark25 Apr
        • Re: Stumped again by joinsChris Sansom25 Apr
      • Re: Stumped again by joinsPeter Brawley25 Apr
Re: Stumped again by joinsPhilippe Poelvoorde25 Apr