List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:boll Date:April 21 2006 3:54pm
Subject:Re: (Errcode: 13) after moving data directory
View as plain text
Dominik Klein wrote:

> Did you check FAT-permissions?
> When mounting a FAT-partition, you have to set explicit permissions
> while mounting as FAT does not understand the unix permission concept.
>
> Try to mount this way:
> mount -t vfat -o uid=mysql,gid=mysql,rw,umask=007
> /dev/[yourdevicename] /your/mountpoint

Hi  Dominik,

In /etc/fstab the partition is mounted with this line:
    /dev/hdb2        /mnt/FAT        vfat    uid=27,gid=27,umask=000  0 0
...which I think is the same as what you recommend (uid  27 is "mysql") .

What I really don't understand is:
Why mysqld will start up and use the dataq on the FAT partition (as I
want it to do) if I start it with "mysqld_safe",
but when I boot the computer or try, as root, "service mysqld start", it
fails to start with these log errors:
    060421 08:43:10  mysqld started
    060421  8:43:11 [Warning] Can't create test file
/mnt/FAT/mysqldata/localhost.lower-test
    /usr/libexec/mysqld: Can't change dir to '/mnt/FAT/mysqldata/'
(Errcode: 13)
    060421  8:43:11 [ERROR] Aborting

I'm guessing that since mysqld_safe runs as user mysql, maybe mysqld
runs as a different user?
How would I find that out?

I will keep  reading the manual,  but  will be grateful for  any ideas.

Thread
(Errcode: 13) after moving data directoryboll21 Apr
  • Re: (Errcode: 13) after moving data directoryDominik Klein21 Apr
    • Re: (Errcode: 13) after moving data directoryboll21 Apr
      • Re: (Errcode: 13) after moving data directoryboll25 Apr